Friday, April 24, 2009

Ear tag

Anselm has an extra ear lobe. When he was a baby, having it removed was discussed, but neither Blaise nor I was keen on the idea. As it turns out, this is a feature, not a bug.. he gets a lot of positive interest at school. There is even a kid in his class who mildly annoys Anselm by trying to catch the reflected glory from the special earlobe; acts as the ear's "agent", so to speak.

3 comments:

PooterGeek said...

My nephew Sam had one of those. It annoyed my sister and I think she thought he might be teased about it so she asked her GP if he could have it removed.

It was, in a quick, painless visit to outpatients' surgery. I'd forgotten about it until I read this.

Adrienne said...

I think our generation's intuitions about what will be problematic at school are no longer well calibrated. Names, for instance. Our friend Michael thought we had to give Anselm a good middle name so he could go by his initials, since "Anselm" was going to cause him great grief. But he barely registers amidst the name salad in his classroom. No more "3 Davids, 4 Michaels, 2 Damians, 4 Catherines".

PooterGeek said...

Yes, it seems to be that school playground race relations have improved significantly in the UK in the past twenty-odd years for example.

Funny you should mention names. Clare and Steve made sure their offspring had no middle names so that they couldn't start using them if they didn't like the first names they'd been given. That's what life's like when both your parents are teachers.